Use this service to estimate how much Income Tax you should have paid for a previous tax year.
There are different ways to:
- see how much Income Tax you paid last tax year (external link)
- check your Income Tax payments for the current tax year (external link)
If you are self-employed, use the HMRC self-employed ready reckoner (external link) to budget for your tax bill.
You may be able to claim a refund (external link) if you have paid too much.
Before you Start
You need to be:
- born after 5 April 1938
- a basic or higher rate (external link) taxpayer earning under £100,000
- getting the Personal Allowance (external link)
You need details of:
- your earnings, before and after tax - get this from your P60 (external link)
- any savings - get this from your bank statements or annual statement from your bank or building society
- any Gift Aid (external link) donations you have made to charity
Who Cannot get an Estimate Online
You cannot get an estimate online if you:
- get taxable state benefits (external link)
- are entitled to claim Married Couple’s Allowance (external link)
- were born on or before 5 April 1938 and get the higher allowances
- have other taxable income, for example from dividends and trusts
- are a higher rate taxpayer and want to estimate your Gift Aid tax relief (external link)