Estimate your Income Tax for a Previous Year

Use this service to estimate how much Income Tax you should have paid for a previous tax year.  

There are different ways to: 

If you are self-employed, use the HMRC self-employed ready reckoner (external link) to budget for your tax bill. 

You may be able to claim a refund (external link) if you have paid too much. 

Before you Start 

You need to be: 

You need details of: 

  • your earnings, before and after tax - get this from your P60 (external link) 
  • any savings - get this from your bank statements or annual statement from your bank or building society 
  • any Gift Aid (external link) donations you have made to charity 

Who Cannot get an Estimate Online 

You cannot get an estimate online if you: 

You can check you have paid the right tax by contacting HMRC (external link) or by getting help from an accountant (external link)