Buildings at Risk

The term ‘Building at Risk’ can refer to any building or structure, but is generally used to describe Listed Buildings or Buildings within Conservation Areas.

East Cambridgeshire District Council has approximately 1200 entries on the national Listed Building register and whilst the majority are in good condition, there are some that have fallen into disuse, dereliction and disrepair.

What happens if a Listed Building becomes at risk?

Not all Listed Buildings receive adequate or appropriate maintenance and repair. The Council has the legal power to serve notice on the owners of neglected buildings, to require works to be carried out to prevent further decay.

Urgent Works Notice – restricted to emergency repairs only, for example, works to ensure a building remains weatherproof and secure
Repairs Notice – may be served in order to preserve architectural or historic features. It cannot be used to improve a building beyond its condition at the time of listing.

These powers are very much a last resort and will only be implemented after all other means of securing the buildings repair or sale have been exhausted.

How do I report a building at risk?

If you are concerned at all about the condition of any historic building within the District, you can report it to the Conservation Officer using the following details:

Conservation, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, CB7 4EE

t: 01353 665555 or