Planning Enforcement Report a Breach

If you think any development or work being carried out in the District is in breach of planning regulations, you should contact the Planning Enforcement Team as soon as possible.

You can report a suspected breach below:

Please see our Data Retention and Privacy (PDF) document and ECDC's Privacy Notice.

You can also report a breach using the following methods:

  • Online: By using the link above you can submit a complaint online
  • By Phone: By calling the Enforcement Team on 01353 665555
  • In writing: By completing our Enforcement Complaint Form (PDF) and sending it to Planning Enforcement, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, CB7 4EE

What is a Breach of Planning Control?

There are a number of works that would be regarded as a breach of planning control, including:

  • Development being undertaken without the benefit of planning permission
  • Development that was approved subject to conditions but one or more of those conditions are being ignored
  • Unauthorised change of use of a building or land
  • Unauthorised works to a listed building
  • Unauthorised works to a protected tree

The Planning Enforcement Team cannot consider the following complaints and details of who are to contact are provided below:

  • Land ownership disputes: contact Land Registry website (external link)
  • Works on a public highway: contact Cambridgeshire County Highways on 0345 0455212
  • Environmental Health issues such as pollution or noise: contact the Environmental Health Team on 01353 665555
  • Dangerous buildings or structures: contact the Building Control Team on 01353 665555

Anonymous Complaints

In order to avoid malicious complaints, anonymous allegations of breaches of planning control area not normally investigated. You should however, be aware that all of your personal details will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Should you feel uncomfortable providing your personal details, we recommend you approach your parish council or local ward member, who can file the report on your behalf.