Sexual Entertainment Venue Licence

On 22 February 2011 East Cambridgeshire District Council resolved to adopt Schedule 3 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 as amended by Section 27 of the Policing and Crime Act 2009 so that the provisions for the control of sexual entertainment venues would apply in the East Cambridgeshire district.

The amended Schedule 3 gives the Council powers to control the number and location of sexual entertainment venues in the area. The new powers took effect from the 1st December 2011. The forms of 'relevant' entertainment commonly understood to be connected with sexual entertainment venues are (though this is not a comprehensive list):

  • lap dancing 
  • pole dancing 
  • table dancing 
  • strip shows 
  • peep shows 
  • live sex shows 

Applications made for a sexual entertainment venue licence will not generally be deemed to be appropriate if the premises is near or in locations or areas containing any of the following:

  1. historic buildings or tourist attractions 
  2. schools, play areas, nurseries, children's centres or similar premises 
  3. shopping complexes 
  4. residential areas 
  5. places of worship 

There is an exemption for premises which provide such entertainment less frequently than once a month.

Further guidance for applicants and interested parties can be found below:

How to apply for a Sexual Entertainment Venue Licence

Applications can be made to the local authority using the application form below. Before submitting an application, your attention is drawn to our privacy and data retention policy.

To ensure confidentiality of the applicant’s personal information annex A to the application can be downloaded and submitted at the same time. Please send your application with the appropriate fee payment to:

Licensing Section, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, CB6 4EE.

Requests for an application form can also be made by contacting licensing or calling 01353 665555 and asking to speak to a member of the Licensing Section.

It is in the public interest that East Cambridgeshire District Council must process your application before it can be authorised.  If you have not received a response to your application within a reasonable period, please contact us.  You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service (external link) or use the contact details below.


Application fee £3761.00, Renewal, Variation or Transfer fee £1880.50.

Notices and certifications

You must submit a copy of the application to Cambridgeshire Constabulary Police Licensing Officer within 7 days of submitting the application to the Licensing Authority at:

Cambridgeshire Constabulary Police Licensing Officer, Ely Police Station, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, CB6 4PL

Applicants for a sex establishment licence must give public notice of the application by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper circulated in the local authority area no later than 7 days after the date the application is made:

Where the application relates to premises a similar notice must also be displayed on or near the premises in a place where it can be conveniently read by members of the public. The notice must be displayed for a period of 21 days beginning with the date the applications was made.

Licensing Act 2003

Most sexual entertainment venues will require a premises licence, club premises certificate or temporary event notice granted under the Licensing Act 2003 as well as a sexual entertainment venue licence to sell / supply alcohol, provide regulated entertainment and late night refreshment.

Conditions attached to a Sexual Entertainment Venue Licence

The Licensing Authority can impose terms, conditions and restrictions on a sexual entertainment venue licence either in the form of conditions specific to the individual or standard conditions applicable to all sex establishments or particular types of sex establishments which can be found in East Cambridgeshire District Council Sex Establishment Licensing Policy - Sex Establishments and Sexual Entertainment Venues Policy.

Contact Us 

If you are an applicant or a third party, you should always contact us in the first instance if you have any queries, concerns or cause for complaint preferably in the form of a letter with proof of delivery.    If you are not satisfied with the outcome and are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice.  If you are from outside the UK, please contact the UK European Consumer Centre (external link).

For further information contact licensing or call 01353 665555.

EUGO website (external link)GOV.UK website (external link)