Litigation friends: manage a Court Funds Office account

The Court Funds Office holds money paid to a child to settle a court case until the child turns 18. 

If you are a litigation friend you will be responsible for the child’s Court Funds Office accounts until they turn 18, for example: 

  • keeping contact details up to date 

  • applying for any payments on the child’s behalf 

  • receiving statements and tax records 

Your responsibilities end when the child turns 18. The Court Funds Office will usually transfer the money to the child and close the account after the child’s 18th birthday. 

Apply to the court that awarded the money to the child if you are not happy with how a litigation friend is acting and want to get someone else appointed as a child’s litigation friend

Update contact details 

Keep contact details up-to-date so the Court Funds Office can transfer the money to the child without delay when they turn 18. 

Write to the Court Funds Office to tell them if: 
  • your address or the child’s changes 

  • your name or the child’s changes - you need to include a certified copy of a marriage certificate or deed poll 

Court Funds Office 


SR43 3AB 

Get statements and tax records  

You will get annual statements and tax vouchers for tax returns in April or May every year. 

You will get another statement in October or November if there is £10,000 or more in the child’s account. 

Apply for payments 

You cannot access the child’s account without an order from the court. 

If there is a reason the child needs money before turning 18, you must apply to the court that originally awarded the money. 

Write to the court and explain what the money is for and how it will benefit the child 

The court will tell you whether you need to: 

  • provide evidence that the child will benefit 

  • provide proof of exact costs 

  • attend a hearing - the child may also need to attend 

  • pay a fee 

It will order the Court Funds Office to make a payment if your application is successful. You must give your bank account details to the court unless you ask to be paid by cheque.