Get Proof of Employment History

You can ask HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for a record of your employment history, for example if you are making a compensation claim for: 

  • an industrial injury (for example asbestosis or industrial deafness) 
  • a road traffic accident 
  • medical negligence 
  • hardship (for example you are claiming through a benevolent fund or charity) 

You can apply for this information yourself or get a solicitor (external link)or tax agent (external link) to do it for you. 

How to Get Your Employment History  

Fill in the application form (external link) and send it to HMRC. The address is on the form.  

If you are applying through a solicitor or tax agent, you will first need to give them written consent. You can use the consent to access your employment history form (external link). They will include your consent with your application. 

Apply for an Employment History on Behalf of Someone Who has Died  

You can apply to get the employment history of someone who’s died if you are legally entitled to claim damages on behalf of their estate (external link):  

How to Apply 

Fill in the request employment history about a deceased person form (external link) and send it to HMRC. The address is on the form.  

If a professional representative (for example a solicitor or coroner) gave you the form, fill it in and return it to them.  

Contact HMRC 

You can contact the National Insurance helpline (external link) if you have not heard from HMRC after 40 days.