Report abuse of an older person

Examples of abuse include:  

  • not caring for someone properly (neglect)  

  • pressuring someone to give away money or property  

  • psychological (eg threats, harassment or forcing someone to live somewhere they do not want to) 

  • physical (eg violence) 

  • sexual  

Reporting abuse  

Call 999 if you are reporting a crime that is in progress or if someone is in immediate danger.   

Contact the local police if you think a crime has been committed or contact the local council if you think someone is at risk or is being abused.  

Care homes and home carers   

Contact the local council if you are concerned about:  

  • someone not being treated properly in a care home  

  • someone being mistreated by a carer  

NHS hospital or clinic care  

Contact the manager of the hospital or clinic if you are worried about someone. 

Help and advice 

If you want to discuss your concerns and get some advice, contact Action on Elder Abuse.  

Action on Elder Abuse helpline 

Telephone: 0808 808 8141 

For further information on Reporting abuse of an older person, see GOV.UK's website.