Complain to the Independent Case Examiner about a Benefit Decision

Complain to the Independent Case Examiner about the service you’ve had from any agency of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) if your complaint has not been resolved by them.
DWP agencies include Jobcentre Plus, the Disability and Carers Service, the Pension Service, Debt Management, Financial Assistance Scheme, Child Support Agency and Independent Living Fund.
You must have already had a letter from the agency saying it’s their final response before contacting the Independent Case Examiner.

How to complain

Contact the examiner, explaining what happened and when.
Independent Case Examiner
Telephone: 0800 414 8529
Independent Case Examiner
PO Box 209
L20 7WA
You need to send your complaint within 6 months of getting the final response.
The examiner can ask DWP to re-open your case if they uphold your complaint. They will not pay your legal fees.

If your complaint is not upheld

Complain to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman if you’re unhappy with the response from the examiner.