Once your Income Tax has been calculated, you can use this service to check how much you paid from 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023.
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) calculates every one's Income Tax between June and November.
You cannot check your Income Tax for last year if you paid any part of your Income Tax last year through Self Assessment.
Before you start
To check your Income Tax for last year, you will need to sign in to your personal tax account using your Government Gateway user ID and password.
If you do not have a personal tax account
You need a Government Gateway user ID and password to set up a personal tax account. If you do not already have a user ID you can create one when you sign in for the first time.
You will need your National Insurance number or postcode and two of the following:
- a valid UK passport
- a UK photo card driving licence issued by the DVLA (or DVA in Northern Ireland)
- a payslip from the last three months or a P60 from your employer for the last tax year
- details of a tax credit claim if you made one
- details from a Self Assessment tax return if you made one
- information held on your credit record if you have one (such as loans, credit cards or mortgages)
Check for the current year
There is a different way to check how much Income Tax you are paying (external link) this year.
Get a refund or pay tax you owe
You may also be able to use this service to get a tax refund or pay tax you owe. You will need a tax calculation letter (known as a 'P800') that says you can do this online.
You can only pay by credit card if it is linked to a business bank account. There is a fee.