Get a Copy of your Police Records

You have the right to ask (external link) for a copy of records the police have about you. This is called a ‘subject access request’.

You might need a subject access request if you move to another country.

A subject access request has records from: 

  • police forces in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey and the Isle of Man 

  • the British Transport Police 

You can make a subject access request (external link) to the ACRO Criminal Records Office (ACRO). 

Police certificates for visa applications

You can contact ACRO (external link) to request a police certificate. You may need a certificate if you are applying for a visa or emigrating to some countries, including:

  • Australia 

  • Belgium 

  • Canada 

  • New Zealand 

  • South Africa 

  • the USA 

It costs £55 to get the certificate. It may take up to 20 working days to receive a certificate.

Personal record requests from other organisations

You can also request your personal records from the following organisations:

  • HM Prison Service 

  • HM Courts and Tribunals Service 

  • Crown Prosecution Service (CPS)