Universal Credit is a new benefit that is paid monthly to you similar to a wage.
It includes housing costs which you will pay to your landlord. It is paid direct into your bank, building society or credit union account.
You will need:
- An email address and access to the Internet – Universal credit is claimed and managed online. There is no paper form and everything is always done online
- How to set up an email account
- A bank account – You will need a transactional bank account in order to receive your Universal credit
- Money Advice Service: How to set up a bank account (external link)
- Budgeting skills – Universal Credit is only paid monthly, so you must make sure you budget your money so that it lasts your household for the whole month
- Money Advice Service: Personal Budgeting Tools (external link)
For further advice and help with managing an online Universal Credit Account or managing a budget contact a member of our Customer Service Team who are on hand to help you.