Food export health certificate

An export health certificate (EHC) is an official document that confirms your export meets the health requirements of the destination country. You must apply for an EHC (external link) if you are exporting or moving live animals, or animal products from Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) to, or through:

  • the EU
  • non-EU countries
  • Northern Ireland

You will also need a transit EHC to transit through an EU country.

You may need a transit EHC to transit through a non-EU country. Check with the competent authority (the equivalent of Defra) in that country.

The following food types need an Export Health Certificate:

  • meat
  • dairy
  • fish
  • eggs

Export Health Certificates will indicate the officer capable of signing. This will be either an Official Veterinarian (OV) or a Food Competent Certification Officer (FCCO). The council does have an FCCO but not an OV. However, there is no requirement to use the council's services. Defra have a guide available (external link). You are advised to contact the signatory in good time to discuss the process, the time required, and the charge that will be levied.

It is the responsibility of the exporter to make sure they have applied for the necessary Export Health Certificate.

Export Certificate or Health Attestations

Some countries require an Export Certificate or Attestation for foods other than those requiring an EHC. This certificate confirms that the products are being exported from a registered or approved premises within the council's area. It is the responsibility of the exporter to make sure they have applied for the necessary certificate depending on the destination countries' entry requirements.


Certificates cost £110.00 for each item. 

Amendments cost £11.00. 

Additional information 

  • The goods must be exported from a premises we have either registered or approved.  We will not supply a certificate if the premises is not either registered or approved
  • We shall always try and incorporate the wording indicated on your form, but we obviously cannot include wording that implies that we vouch for the safety of the individual batch or consignment of food. Our wording normally reflects the fact that your foodstuffs are produced and stored in premises subject to our jurisdiction as a food authority, and which have been subject to a satisfactory inspection programme
  • We reserve the right to decline to issue a certificate if your premises, hygiene standards and or practices fail to meet food safety standards
  • Officers may want to inspect a consignment before the certificate is issued
  • Please allow at least seven working days for the application and consultation process. You will receive your certificate through the post unless you have specifically requested to collect it from the council

For further advice contact the commercial team at