What is Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you are on a low income or out of work.

If you already get other benefits

Universal Credit is replacing the following benefits:
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit
If you currently get any of these benefits, you do not need to do anything unless:
  • you have a change of circumstances you need to report
  • the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) contacts you about moving to Universal Credit

Severe disability premium

You cannot claim Universal Credit if you either:
  • get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
  • got or were entitled to the severe disability premium in the last month, and you’re still eligible for it
If you have a change of circumstances that affects the severe disability premium or your other benefits, report it and you will be told what to do next.

Sign in

Sign in to your Universal Credit account if you already have one.