Premises Licence

You will need a Premises Licence if you are planning to:

  • sell or supply alcohol
  • hold regulated entertainment
  • provide late-night refreshment (selling hot food and drink between 23:00 and 05:00)

You can read more about premises licences at, or by using the relevant document link in the related publications section at the bottom of this page.

In addition to any permission obtained from the Licensing Authority, you may also require permission from other parties, these include but are not limited to:

Filmbankmedia -
PRS music licensing -
PPL music licensing -

Immigration Act 2016

The Immigration Act 2016 requires any person living in the UK to prove they have a right to work in the UK at the time of applying for a Premises Licence (as an individual or as a partnership) where alcohol and/or late night refreshment is requested. All applicants are required to provide proof of their right to work as part of the application process. Information on the types of documents that are acceptable can be found on the application forms below. Clear copies of these documents will be sufficient.

Where an applicant has a restricted right to work in the UK, the Premises Licence will lapse when the right to work in the UK expires. In the case of a partnership, the premises licence will lapse on the date that the first party's right to work expires. The remaining individual will be permitted to re-instate the licence by way of a transfer application.

Online applications for a new Premises Licence

Online applications related to existing Premises Licences

Postal application forms and notices

New Premises Licence application form
Provisional Statement application
Full variation to a Premises Licence
Minor variation to a Premises Licence
Change of Designated Premises Supervisor - see note 1 below
Premises Licence transfer form
Interim Authority Notice
Notification of Interest
Disapply mandatory alcohol conditions on Community Premises

Note 1:

The new prescribed application form used to change the designated premises supervisor (DPS) under the Licensing Act 2003 asks the licensee to give a copy of the form to the existing premises supervisor. The completed form contains personal information about the proposed new DPS and sharing this information would be in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998. It is sufficient for the licensee to inform the DPS that the application has been made, without the need to share the specific details of the application. A full copy of the application form must still be sent to police (unless submitting an online form). The Council has been informed by the Home Office that this error with the prescribed form will be amended via regulations as soon as possible to make this clear.


Consent of Individual to being specified as Premises Supervisor
Consent of an existing Premises Licence holder to transfer

Report / Requests:

Request to be removed as Designated Premises Supervisor
Report a change of name or address of a Premises Licence holder or Designated Premises Supervisor
Report a change of premises name

Completed paper forms should be returned with the statutory fee to:

The Licensing Department, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EE

Applicants are also required to supply a copy of their application to the relevant Responsible Authorities according to the type of application being submitted:

Application typeResponsible Authority to be consulted
New Premises LicenceAll**
New Provisional StatementAll
Full Premises Licence variationAll**
Minor Premises Licence variationNone*
Transfer of a Premises LicencePolice + Home Office**
Change of DPSPolice only
Interim Authority NoticePolice + Home Office**
Notification of InterestNone
Disapplication of mandatory alcohol conditionsPolice only

* The Licensing Authority will consult those Responsible Authorities it feels appropriate given the nature of the application.

** Where the premises are being, or are proposed to be, used for late night refreshment or the sale or supply of alcohol and is not a vessel, applicants must copy their application to the Home Office in addition to the other required responsible authorities. Applications only offering regulated entertainment, are not required to send a copy to the Home Office.

Advertising of application

For new applications, full variations, and provisional statements it is necessary to advertise the application by placing a notice on the premises for a period of 28 days commencing the day after the day the application is given. A notice with the same information must also be displayed in a local newspaper within 10 working days of the valid application being given.

A notice is also required for a minor variation application for a period of 10 working days commencing the day after the day the application is given. No newspaper public notice is required for minor variations.

Public Notice templates:

Premises Licence - New application notice
Premises Licence - Provisional Statement notice
Premises Licence - Full variation notice
Premises Licence - Minor variation notice

What happens next?

It is in the public interest that East Cambridgeshire District Council must process your application before it can be authorised. If you have not received a response to your application within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Telephone: 01353 665555

Other redress

Rights of appeal exist for many of the applications and processes covered by the Licensing Act 2003, and those affected by licensable activites may submit representations against applications, or ask for a licence to be reviewed.

More information on this area is contained in the East Cambridgeshire District Council guidance document in the related publications section at the bottom of this page.

Representation form for Other Parties
Representation form for Responsible Authorities
Club Premises/Premises Licence - Application for Review

If you are not satisfied with the outcome and are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice.  If you are from outside the UK, please contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Public Registers

Public Registers