Residents, businesses and organisations are set to have their say on ambitious proposals to transform the Ely Station Gateway.
An eight week consultation period will be running from Monday 27 January until Friday 21st March to give everyone the opportunity to give their views on the draft Ely Station Gateway Supplementary Planning Document (SPD).
The Planning Document sets out how the area could be developed into a vibrant urban quarter to provide jobs, enhanced transport interchange facilities as well as creating an attractive gateway to the City.
Cllr Peter Moakes, Chairman of Development and Transport Committee, said: “The station area has been identified as having the potential for significant change and already has planning applications and enquiries about new development. This Supplementary Planning Document sets out a framework for future of the gateway looks at type of development around the station which can benefit us all. At the District Council, we are looking at how to develop Ely to make sure that the city contributes to the success of East Cambridgeshire.”
Cllr Bill Hunt, Lead Member for the Station Gateway project said “As always with these types of work – we rely heavily on the responses we receive during the consultation. It is during this work that the public, businesses and other organisations can make their voice heard and influence the plans. So please take the chance to have your say in the next eight weeks.”
The SPD, once approved, will be a statutory planning document. The draft proposals currently include:
- A minimum of 800 jobs
- A new public transport interchange at the railway station.
- Small retail units, linked to the redevelopment of the railway interchange.
- Approximately 400 residential units.
- Public open space
- Car parking for occupiers/users of the site and for the railway station.
To respond to the consultation either:
- fill in the Draft Ely Station Gateway SPD questionnaire at www.eastcambs.gov.uk
- Attend the public exhibitions being held in the former Millets store, Ely Market Place, on Thursday 6 March 2014 from 2pm – 7pm or Saturday 8 March 2014 from 9am – 2pm.
- Write/email/telephone – East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EE, email@example.com, telephone 01353 665555