On Thursday 4th May, registered residents will be able to make their mark in two elections affecting the district and the region.
The elected Mayor will chair the newly formed Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority which is made up of representatives from East Cambridgeshire District Council, Cambridge City Council, Cambridgeshire County Council, Fenland District Council, Huntingdonshire District Council, Peterborough City Council, South Cambridgeshire District Council and the Greater Cambridge, Greater Peterborough Local Enterprise Partnership.
Cambridgeshire County Council elections are also to be held for the election areas of Burwell, Ely North, Ely South, Littleport, Soham North and Isleham, Soham South and Haddenham, Sutton and Woodditton. A county councillor will be elected for each of the eight divisions
Nomination information for the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority Mayoral elections:
- Nomination papers must be delivered, in person to the Combined Authority Returning Officer at Electoral Services, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EE between the hours of 10.00am and 4.00pm on any working day (Monday to Friday) from and including the Wednesday 22 March 2017 but not later than 4.00pm on Tuesday 4 April 2017
- Forms of nomination paper may be obtained from Electoral Services, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EE at the times mentioned above
- Nominations must be accompanied by a deposit of £5,000.00 payable by cash, bankers draft (banks operating in the UK only) by debit card or by BACS (contact East Cambs for details)
- If the election is contested, the poll will take place on Thursday, 4 May 2017 between the hours of 7.00am and 10.00pm
Nomination information for the Cambridgeshire County Council elections:
- Forms of nomination paper are available from the Deputy Returning Officer, The Grange Nutholt Lane Ely CB7 4EE who will at the request of any elector for the said electoral area, prepare for signature a nomination paper
- Nomination papers must be delivered to The Grange Nutholt Lane Ely CB7 4EE on any day after the date of this notice but not later than 4pm on 4 April 2017
- If an election is contested the poll will take place on the Thursday 4 May 2017
Information for residents regarding registering to vote, postal votes and proxy votes:
All applications for registration, must reach the Electoral Registration Officer, no later than midnight on Thursday 13 April 2017.
To register please do one of the following:
- apply online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote, you will need to know your National Insurance number and date of birth to complete this application.
- contact Customer Services on 01353 665555 and they can apply online for you - you will need to know your National Insurance number and date of birth to complete this application.
- contact the Elections office on 01353 665555 to request a form for you to fill in and return.
Applications for new postal votes and amendments or cancellations to existing postal votes must reach the Electoral Registration Officer, by 5.00pm on Tuesday 18 April 2017. This includes electors or their proxies who wish to make alterations to their existing arrangements on a permanent basis.
Applications to appoint a proxy must reach the relevant Electoral Registration Officer, by 5.00pm on Tuesday 25 April 2017.
Applications to vote by emergency proxy at this election applied for on the grounds of physical incapacity, or for work/service reasons, must reach the relevant Electoral Registration Officer, as listed below, by 5.00pm on Thursday, 4 May 2017. The physical incapacity must have occurred after 5.00pm on Tuesday 25 April 2017. To apply on the grounds of work/service, the person must have become aware that they cannot go to the polling station in person after 5.00pm on Tuesday 25 April 2017.
For more information visit https://www.eastcambs.gov.uk/elections-voting/current-upcoming-elections
For a full list of polling stations visit https://www.eastcambs.gov.uk/polling-stations/search