Skin Piercing Registration (including microblading)

Acupuncture, Cosmetic Piercing, Electrolysis, Semi-Permanent Skin-Colouring and Tattooing

Registration is required, under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, for permission to undertake the practice of Acupuncture or the business of Cosmetic Piercing, Electrolysis, Semi-Permanent Skin-Colouring (such as microblading) and Tattooing. The Council has Byelaws that must be followed.

The premises must be registered and every person carrying on the piercing must be registered.

The charge for registration is £190 for the person and £190 for the premises.

Registration does not allow mobile skin piercers.  You must  be registered at a premises.

Please contact us before making an application so that we can talk with you before you spend money on the application, equipment or a premises.

Note: It is an offence to operate as a skin piercer without a valid registration or, in non-compliance with any byelaws attached to any registration issued.


In order to process your application, premises will be inspected. The applicant must demonstrate compliance with the Byelaws.  This Council may make contact with other enforcement authorities in areas where the applicant has practiced or is practicing.

Application Forms

Application for Registration of Person - Download Form

Application for Registration of Premises - Download Form

If you are already registered with East Cambridgeshire District Council as a skin piercer and you want to move from one registered premises to another registered premises in the district, there is a transfer fee of £10.50.

The registration of a premises is not transferable.  If you want to practice skin piercing at a different address that is not registered for skin piercing, then the full fee of £190 is payable to register the premises.  This is in addition to the transfer of the person registration of £10.50.

Skin Piercing Registration Change of Details - Download Form

It is in the public interest that East Cambridgeshire District Council must process your application before it can be authorised. If you have not received a response to your application within a reasonable period or your require further information, please contact environmental health.

You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Commercial Team, Environmental Services, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EE
Tel: 01353 665555

If you are an applicant or a third party, you should always contact us in the first instance if you have any queries, concerns or cause for complaint preferably in the form of a letter with proof of delivery.  If you are not satisfied with the outcome and are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice.  If you are from outside the UK, please contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Further Information

Link to EUGI websiteLink to GOV.UK website