You must make sure your child gets a full-time education that meets their needs (for example if they have special educational needs). You can send your child to school or educate them yourself. Children must get an education between the school term after their 5th birthday and the last Friday in June in the school year they turn 16. You will be contacted by either:
- the school - if your child is enrolled in school and does not turn up (even if they are only absent for a day)
- the council’s education welfare officer - if they think your child is not getting a suitable education at home
You can be prosecuted if you do not give your child an education. You will normally get warnings and offers of help from the local council first.You can get education and attendance information from your council.
When your child can miss school
You can only allow your child to miss school if either:
- they are too ill to go in
- you have got advance permission from the school
There is extra support available if your child cannot go to school for long periods because of a health problem.
Holidays in term time
- you make an application to the head teacher in advance (as a parent the child normally lives with)
- there are exceptional circumstances
For further information: