Repay Child Benefit overpayments

You can be paid too much Child Benefit if you do not report a change in your circumstances

You’ll usually have to pay it back. 

If you’ve been paid too much Child Benefit 

The Child Benefit Office will write to tell you: 

  • you’ve been overpaid 
  • what caused the overpayment 
  • whether you have to pay the money back 
  • how to appeal if you think they’re wrong 

If you think you’ve been paid too much Child Benefit contact the Child Benefit Office straight away - do not wait for the Child Benefit Office to write to you. 

You could be prosecuted for benefit fraud if you know you’ve been overpaid but do not do anything about it. You could be fined or go to prison if you’re convicted.  

Pay back overpayments 

You’ll usually have to pay back an overpayment in a lump sum. 

Pay by online or telephone banking 

A payment using online or telephone banking will usually reach HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) on the same or next day. 

You’ll need to use: 

  • your National Insurance number for the reference number 
  • the following account details 
    Sort code -08 32 30 
    Account number -11963279 
    Account name - HMRC Child Benefit Remittance 

If you cannot pay by online or telephone banking, or need time to pay Contact HMRC for advice. HMRC 0300 322 9240 Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 5pm Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm. 

For further information: