The Council has committed to several actions to work towards net zero carbon emissions by 2050. There is a mix of short-term and medium targets which are defined below.
- Launch and publicise an online Ideas forum (link to online form) for residents to submit their ideas for consideration on how the Council can tackle climate change.
- Develop a Supplementary Planning Document for the Natural Environment.
- Conduct a review of the management and use of pesticides and the grass cutting schedules of our own open spaces.
- Develop a parks and Open Spaces Eco Plan to reduce adverse environmental impacts and increase biodiversity and request East Cambs Trading Company.
- Promote tree schemes by the Woodland Trust and other organisations to encourage tree planting throughout the district.
- Assess the feasibility and capability assessment of new carbon emission free vehicles available on the market when any Council owned vehicle comes to its end of life.
- Develop a costed Environment and Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan by April 2020, as part of this work the following will be considered and explored:
- Measures in conjunction with the Combined Authority, Cambridgeshire County Council, other organisations and customers.
- Pre- application planning fee incentives/discounts for schemes using eco-friendly building methods, heating and cooling systems and green energy schemes.
- Incentives/discounts on taxi licence fees for ultra-low or zero emission vehicles at renewal.
- Installing more electric charging points in Council car parks.
- Installing additional refill stations on Council premises.
- Develop a communications plan to change the culture of the Council to one of “Think Zero”.