County Court Judgments for Debt


You may get a county court judgment (CCJ) or high court judgment if someone takes court action against you (saying you owe them money) and you do not respond.
You must respond to the court claim by the date on the email or letter you receive.
If you get a judgment, this means that the court has formally decided that you owe the money.
The judgment will come in the post and will explain:
  • how much you owe
  • how to pay (in full or in instalments)
  • the deadline for paying
  • who to pay
Records of judgments are kept for 6 years unless you pay the full amount within a month - this can make it hard to get credit.
If you do not owe the money, you can ask the court to cancel, or ‘set aside’, the judgment.
If you do owe the money, you should arrange to pay what you can afford.
If you get a judgment do not ignore it - you could be taken back to court and forced to pay.

See Also:

For further information: