We all need to take action to spread out the peak of this illness, to help our health services manage demand and protect the most vulnerable in our communities.
Follow the NHS’s coronavirus guidance on when to stay at home and for how long. The guidance also includes further information about coronavirus, and contains links to other useful information.
See also the government’s advice – Coronavirus: what you need to do. It includes information for businesses and schools, and about travel and much more.
From Monday 15 June you MUST wear face coverings when travelling on any public transport. See the government's advice - Coronavirus: Face coverings on public transport.
For more information, check the following links:
- Five things you can do to protect yourself and your community (Public Health England)
- How to wash your hands (NHS video)
To avoid catching or spreading coronavirus, the NHS recommends:
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
Advice for schools
The government’s advice for schools provides advice for staff in childcare, schools, and further and higher educational institutions.
The Department for Education has set up a helpline to answer questions about coronavirus for staff, parents and young people:
- Phone 0800 046 8687
- Email email@example.com
- 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and 10am to 4pm on weekends
British Red Cross Community Reserve Volunteer scheme
The British Red Cross is looking for volunteers to help it support the country’s response to the coronavirus outbreak.
You don’t need any specialist skills, and quick training will be provided when you arrive to help. You must be 18 or older to volunteer.