Complain about a Judge, Magistrate, Tribunal Member or Coroner

You can complain if you are unhappy with a judge, magistrate, tribunal member or coroner’s: 
  • behaviour 
  • language 
  • conduct 
You must make your complaint within 3 months. 
You cannot use the complaints process to challenge a decision or sentence. You should get legal advice about how to appeal. 

How to complain 

There is a different process for tribunals, magistrates’ courts and judges sitting in other courts. 


Contact the Tribunal President for the tribunal you went to, for example the employment tribunal or immigration tribunal. 

Magistrates’ court 

Contact the advisory committee for the area your court is in. You can ask a member of staff at court if you are not sure which advisory committee to contact. 

Judges sitting in other courts 

This includes: 
  • Crown Court judges 
  • coroners 
  • district judges 
If you are not satisfied with how your complaint was dealt with 
Contact the Judicial Appointments and Conduct Ombudsman (JACO) if you are unhappy with the way your complaint was handled. 
You must contact JACO within 28 days of being notified that your complaint has been dealt with and closed. 
Download and fill in a judicial conduct complaint form
Send the form by email or post. 
Judicial Appointments and Conduct Ombudsman  
Telephone: 020 3334 2900 
Judicial Appointments and Conduct Ombudsman 
Postal Area 1.55 
1st Floor 
The Tower 
102 Petty France