Child maintenance arrangements

Child maintenance is an arrangement between you and the other parent of your child. It covers how your child’s living costs will be paid for when one of the parents no longer lives with them. It’s made when you have separated from the other parent (or if you have never been in a relationship).
Both parents are responsible for the costs of raising their children, even if they do not see them. Making agreements about access to your children happens separately.

Child maintenance can be either:

  • a private arrangement between you and the other parent
  • made through the Child Maintenance Service - a government scheme
You need to have child maintenance arrangements for children under 16 (or under 20 if they are in approved education or training). If you make a private arrangement you can continue paying after then.

If you are a victim of domestic violence or abuse

A private arrangement would involve agreeing an amount with the other parent and being in contact. If you do not want to do this because you are a victim of domestic violence or abuse you can use the Child Maintenance Service who will contact the other parent for you. You will not pay the application fee.

How it affects benefits

Child maintenance payments will not affect any benefits that you and your children get. You will not have to pay tax on them.
Your Council Tax Reduction could be affected. Contact your local council to find out if this applies to you.

Making an arrangement for the first time

  1. Talk to the other parent about making your own arrangements.
  2. If you cannot agree, contact Child Maintenance Options for help and support.
  3. If you decide to use the Child Maintenance Service, they will give you a reference number and explain how to apply.

See also:

For further information: