Child Benefit Complaints

Contact the Child Benefit Office if you want to complain about the service you’ve received, mistakes they’ve made or unreasonable delays. 

How to complain 

You can: 

If you write, include: 

  • your National Insurance number 

  • your full name, address and telephone number 

  • details of what happened and when 

  • any reference numbers you’ve been given 

  • how you’d like your complaint settled 

  • the word ‘complaint’ at the top of your letter 

The Child Benefit Office will usually respond within 15 working days. 

If you’re unhappy with the response 

Ask the Child Benefit Office to review their response - their letter will tell you how.  

If you’re unhappy with the final decision, you can contact the Independent Adjudicator

You can also contact your MP and ask them to send your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

You may be able to claim reasonable costs (for example, for postage or phone calls) if the Child Benefit Office admits they made a mistake - ask them for details. 

For further information on Child Benefit Complaints see GOV.UK.