Change a birth certificate

Re-register your child’s birth to add the natural father’s details to the birth record. 

The form you fill in depends on whether: 

Take the completed form to the register office. If you are not married or in a civil partnership and one of you cannot be there, that person also needs to fill in a ‘Statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage’ form and post it to the General Register Office

Getting a new birth certificate 

If you want a new birth certificate you will have to order one separately - you do not get one automatically when you re-register the birth.
If the wrong father is named on the current birth certificate, you can ask for a correction. That will remove the wrong father’s name. Then you can re-register the birth with the right father’s name.

If there is been a ‘Declaration of Parentage’

A Declaration of Parentage is when the court decides who the father of a baby is. You do not need to do anything to change the birth record if there has been a Declaration of Parentage made by a court. The court will tell the General Register Office and the birth will be re-registered. You will need to order a new birth certificate if you want one.

For further information on Changing a birth certificate, see GOV.Uk's website.