What it Covers
This policy covers the treatment of personally identifiable information that East Cambridgeshire District Council collects when you are visiting www.eastcambs.gov.uk and associated websites.
Information Collection and Use
It is only when you complete a form that requires personal information, or email East Cambridgeshire District Council, that you can be identified. In these cases your personal information will be used to fulfil your request for services or information, as input for improving the website or to notify you about changes to the site (where you have requested this).
Protecting Public Funds
The Council may receive information about you from others, or may give information to them. If so, it will only be done as the law permits, to:
- check the accuracy of information;
- prevent or detect crime;
- protect public funds
When receiving personal information from you the Council will:
- comply with the Data Protection Act when handling personal data;
- protect data and information in its custody from accidental or deliberate loss or disclosure;
- balance personal rights and the need to provide effective and efficient services;
- follow emerging Freedom of Information guidelines and legislation;
- meet the common law duty of confidentiality when dealing with citizens and customers, and only disclose information in ways which are fair and understood;
- ensure that elected members and the staff of the Council understand their responsibilities when handling personal information, through training, and by promoting best practice;
- ensure that its citizens and customers understand their rights in terms of access to their personal information.