Soham Station Gateway
The Soham Masterplan Vision identified the western gateway of the town as a huge opportunity to improve connectivity and strengthen the town centre through the reopening of the railway station. The concept was strongly backed in each stage of the Soham Masterplan Vision consultation from both residents and businesses.
Soham railway station was opened on 1st September 1879 on the Ely to Newmarket line. The station was destroyed on 2nd June 1944, when a munitions train caught fire and blew up. Although the line remains the station was closed down on 13th September 1965.
East Cambridgeshire District Council commissioned Network Rail to investigate the feasibility of building a new station at Soham. As part of the study an investigation into whether the current railway line running through Soham, which is covered by a two hourly service between Ipswich and Peterborough, could support the additional stop at Soham and if this service could become hourly in the future.
Once Network Rail have confirmed the engineering feasibility of a new platform and station, further detailed studies will need to be undertaken to assess the likely future passenger demand, time tabling constraints and funding opportunities to develop the station and necessary surrounding infrastructure.