The Development Management Team is responsible for a range of activities relating to planning in East Cambridgeshire, ranging from registering applications to enforcing against unauthorised works.  The following pages provide detailed information on the various functions that fall under the remit of Development Management, as well as providing information that will assist in the submission of planning applications.

The Council provides a General Enquiries Service for the Planning Department. This service is available Monday to Thursday 08:45 - 17:00 and Friday 08:45 - 16:30 and you can contact us on 01353616136 or complete an online enquiry form.

You can follow us on twitter and view which planning applications have been validated daily @ECDCPlanning

Pre-Application Advice

Validation Requirements

Application Process

Planning Application Forms

Planning Committee

Current Planning Applications

Shop Fronts & Adverts

Useful Information


Heritage & Conservation


Contact Us



Application Processes

Do I need Planning Permission?

There are a number of issues to consider before an answer can be given to this question.

Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission; these rights are called ‘Permitted Development Rights’ (PD rights). In certain circumstances, your property may have had its PD rights removed; this could be for the following reasons:

  • A condition when permission was originally granted that restricts certain types of alterations or extensions;
  • An Article 4 Direction (these are made by the Council when the character of an area is threatened by unsympathetic alterations. They are most commonly found in conservation areas);
  • The property is a Listed Building;
  • The property is in a Conservation Area;
  • The property is a flat or commercial unit.

If you are considering making alterations or improvements to your home, you can check to see if permission is required by using the Planning Portal website - their Interactive House provides guidance on permitted development rights and restrictions. The government has also produced a helpful guidance document that can be viewed or downloaded below:

If you own a commercial unit and are considering making alterations or improvements to your property, you should check with the Local Planning Authority prior to undertaking any works.

If you are in doubt about any restriction on your house, you should contact the Planning Department for clarification.  If there is a restrictive Covenant on your house/estate, this would be separate issue from any planning aspects.  You should seek your own legal advice on such Covenants.

The Council has also produced this guidance leaflet that briefly explains the application process:

Further information on the planning application process can be found on the following pages: